Friday, February 13, 2009

Shaving, part II

So guess what ? Someone asked where do we get these "old fashioned" razors ? Well, I went out on a shopping adventure to be able to give all of you good info. Imagine my surprise, when all I could find at the local brand name drugstores was one type of mug brush and one type of ready made mug soap. Both distributed by the brand name of Williams. No safety razors and no mugs. After some thought and calculation, I realized that I bought my razor (made by Gillette, no less) almost 20 years ago at an Osco drugstore. Osco does not exist anymore, being bought out by drugstore giant CVS. So I started to search online. One of the sites I found with a wide variety of items in all price ranges is Classic Shaving . As you peruse the site, the less expensive items are toward the bottom of the pages, so do some scrolling and you will probably find something in just about any price range. The razor they offer that is equivalent to mine is toward the bottom and is called The Feather. It has a split top that opens up to replace the blades and a plastic handle. It is almost identical to the razor I've been using all these years. Now, as long as you don't have a dog in the house who likes to chew anything and everything plastic, and no one knocks your razor on the floor giving him access, these razors, by my own experience will last a very long time. If you decide to spend a little more and get one with a steel handle, you probably will never have to replace it. Now that you've bought the razor, you can get replacement blades easily from any of your local drugstores.

1 comment:

  1. I have never looked for a razor, but I bought my husband's mug from a local handmade soap shop. Our co-op grocery store has very inexpensive handmade round soaps. If you are in a city that does not have these options, Etsy is a good place to look for for replacement soaps. Like: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_2&listing_id=21097976&ga_search_query=shaving&ga_search_type=tag_title

    and mugs: http://www.ohsoaps.com/nashso1.html

    ReplyDelete